National Technical Lead – Building Performance Analyst
About the role:
We’re currently looking for a well-rounded Senior Energy Modeler & Building Performance Analysis with a passion for energy analysis and sustainable design to lead our national initiatives for performance analysis. This individual will lead our national team and take part in the design process for some of Canada’s highest performing buildings and use energy modeling analysis to dramatically impact building performance.
Our mechanical engineering team leads the way in new technology, creating buildings that are efficient to operate, easy to maintain, and minimize environmental impacts. They have a seat at the design table, working alongside our other disciplines to solve some of the hardest and most technical challenges in the industry. Their expertise in energy modeling, thermal comfort analysis, commissioning, and mechanical systems design positively impact projects ranging from small commercial to large institutional project.
*** Please note that this position may be based out of: Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, or Calgary. ***
How you’ll make a difference:
- Supervise the preparation of building performance simulations to guide the design of new and existing buildings; including energy modelling, thermal comfort analysis, daylight simulation, CFD, and lifecycle analysis
- Participate in the integrated design process and assist our clients and design teams insetting ambitious goals for energy performance and low-carbon design
- Develop the energy modeling skill set within our team of junior and intermediate modelers, peer review completed and in-progress analysis and manage quality and client satisfaction
- Advise clients, design teams, and team members of high-performance building strategies that will contribute to their successful pursuit of goals such as certification under LEED, Living Building Challenge, Passive House, Zero Carbon or compliance under NECB, ASHRAE 90.1, Provincial and State Energy Standards, and other applicable local energy codes and standards (for example: Toronto Green Standard or BC Energy Step Code).
- Develop the firm-wide strategy for integration of building performance analysis and delivery of high-performance buildings. Regularly brief our leadership on emerging trends and best practices in building performance and low-carbon design.
- Work with our national Design Technology team to improve our processes for BIM integration, geometry development, and parametric design
- Maintain a high level of knowledge of industry developments and trends related to energy and building performance; provide thought leadership through chapter membership and conference presentations
- Estimate time, effort, and resources required to complete new projects and take part in authoring proposals
- Assist with the development of measurement and verification approaches and strategies
Who you are:
- You have a P.Eng. designation applicable within Canada and a modeling designation such as BEMP or equivalent
- Demonstrate proficiency and 5+ years experience in energy modeling. 8+ years of experience is preferred. You have completed large and complex energy modelling projects from early stages to final compliance and M&V stage
- Have advanced energy modeling capabilities including early-stage analysis and compliance modeling utilizing the following modeling tools; IES-VE, EnergyPlus, eQuest/CanQuest, EE4, or similar
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of building envelope, lighting, and building mechanical systems including the ability to propose concepts for high performance buildings and describe benefits for energy, GHG, cost savings, and thermal comfort
- Demonstrate knowledge of campus and community energy analysis
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively with design team members; ability to effectively manage projects in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Proven ability to meet deadlines delivering energy analysis during concept and detailed design / compliance phases
- Provide coaching for junior team members including technical review, mentorship, and professional development
Nice to have
- Experience with additional building performance analysis software including; Window7, Therm, Climate Consultant, FramePlus, TRNSYS, Honeybee/Ladybug, etc.
- Experience with scripting in Python, Dynamo and/or Grasshopper
- Leadership role in industry associations such as CaGBC, ASHRAE, or IBPSA
- Designation as an approved modeler by USGBC, CaGBC, BC Hydro, or similar
Ready to start your journey?
Submit your resume to ac.ngisedgolaidnull@sreeraClanoitaN or through our website, by clicking the Apply Now button.
DIALOG is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and DIALOG’s Accommodation Policy, accommodations are available upon request for candidates throughout the selection process.Apply Now ▹