Supporting the comforts of home, for everyone
During this holiday season, we’re taking a break, closing our doors, and spending time with our loved ones in the comforts of our homes.
But, the comforts of home aren’t something we take for granted.
In an October 2019 article, Global News reported that as housing prices and rents have gone up, incomes have remained relatively flat. The article also references a study released by the BC Non-Profit Housing Association, stating
“1.8 million Canadian households are spending more than 30 per cent of their income on housing. Thirty per cent is what housing experts suggest as a budget threshold for rent.
Some go much higher. Some 800,000 Canadian households spend more than 50 per cent of their income on rent.”
Our communities are facing significant and growing challenges when it comes to affordable housing and, this holiday, we want to do our part to help.
“Secure, affordable housing is one of the primary measures of a healthy, livable community—it’s not tied to any single postal code,” says Vance Harris, principal at DIALOG. “We see the direct impact of rising housing costs throughout all of the cities in which we practice.”
As such, we’re donating to five organizations within our communities who are working hard to make a difference when it comes to affordable housing:
- Community Housing Partnership who’s an award-winning San Francisco non-profit dedicated to helping homeless people secure housing and become self-sufficient;
- Brightside Community Homes Foundation who’s providing low-cost housing to senior citizens in Vancouver;
- HomeSpace Society who provides safe, appropriate, and affordable housing for vulnerable Calgarians;
- Homeward Trust Edmonton who’s committed to ending homelessness in Edmonton; and
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Toronto who promotes the development of non-profit housing co-operatives and provides the education and assistance needed by the growing co-operative housing sector.
“While affordable housing may be universal in nature, our regional donations will ensure local needs and priorities are appropriately considered in getting the assistance to those most in need,” continues Harris.
“Everyone deserves a safe place to call home.”
Wishing you and your loved ones the comforts of home,
Happy Holidays from DIALOG
Leave a comment
That's super that you've decided to leave a comment! Please keep in mind that comments are moderated. So, please don't use a spammy keyword or a domain as your name. Let's have a personal and meaningful conversation instead. Thanks for dropping by!