- If you could live a ‘day in the life’ of someone else, who would it be?
- I would love to spend one day as an interior designer selecting cool finishes and creating the ambiance of a space!
- What’s one hobby you have outside of work?
- Cooking! I probably make the best ribs of all the DIALOGers! I would say they are even better than Tony Roma's ribs, so I call them Adrian Roma's ribs! Really, I love to BBQ so I can spend time outside drinking scotch!
- What do you listen to while you work?
- When I am working I listen to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake or one of my three favourite movie soundtracks: Gladiator, Jason Bourne, and La La Land.
Compassionate, thorough and committed, Adrian is a dedicated architect and project manager with DIALOG. A specialist in healthcare, with a sub-specialization in laboratories, Adrian can most often be found as principal in charge at the clinical planning lead level. His passion for innovative healthcare architecture led him to pursue a collaborative post-graduate degree with the UBC School of Nursing, the SFU Gerontology Research Centre, and the UBC School of Architecture in 1994. Today, Adrian contributes two decades of architectural and project management experience to our Calgary studio.
His responsibilities include carrying projects through to completion, as well as contractual liability issues. His expertise in healthcare offers excellent insight into how the built environment impacts human health and wellbeing, specifically in the area of senior healthcare.
Adrian has worked on various healthcare and institutional projects across Alberta and British Columbia, including four greenfield projects. He was the lead planner on Nova Scotia’s Dartmouth General Hospital and the design team leader, coordinating professional, and technical lead for the Calgary Cancer Centre. Adrian is currently spearheading the Grand Prairie Regional Hospital project as the project architect, manager, and Principal-in-charge. He also holds the role of Principal-in-charge on the Alberta Children’s Hospital Research Institute Laboratory at the University of Calgary.
Adrian builds interest, aptitude, passion and commitment within his teams. Based on an environment of mutual respect, support and learning, he aims to offer his team a home where they can grow personally and professionally. Looking to the future, Adrian dreams of one day building a hospital in Africa to serve communities not just at home, but around the world.
I want to leave the world better than I discovered it.Adrian Lao
- Master of Advanced Studies of Architecture in Nursing, Gerontology & Architecture University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Architecture University of Hawaii at Manoa