- What's your favourite DIALOG initiative?
- Design Residency in Honour of Tom Sutherland. I was honoured to lead the inaugural residency which invited a group of university students from across Canada to Edmonton. The students participated in a four day intensive workshop. From the diverse perspectives of architecture, engineering, planning, landscape architecture, visual arts and public health, the students worked together to explore the potential of redeveloping an under-utilized public space in Edmonton’s downtown core. The residency is now hosted in a different DIALOG studio each year.
- What’s one thing about you that would surprise people?
- I practice meditation.
- What’s your favourite mode of transportation?
- Travelling by train is my favourite mode of transportation. I lived in Japan for one year and explored using the country's extensive rail network. It's the most romantic way to watch the world pass you by.
Chelsea is an urban planner, talented facilitator, and dedicated project manager who has been on our team since 2016. Interested in all aspects of urbanism, Chelsea’s portfolio of work spans across traditional policy development, broad scale master planning, urban design, sustainable urban integration and public engagement.
She thrives in collaborative environments and believes that exploring the context of a problem is the first step to creating the most thoughtful, responsive, and resilient design solutions. Her design ethos is based on three key elements: process, people and place.
Two of her projects of note are Kinistinâw Park–a gathering place in the heart of The Quarters in downtown Edmonton–and the MacEwan University Campus Master Plan–a 25-year road map for the future development of the university’s buildings and grounds.
Chelsea is a registered professional planner and a member of the Alberta Professional Planners Institute (APPI) and Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP). She is passionate about strengthening the profession of planning in Alberta and giving back to the industry. Chelsea has served as an APPI council member and is a sessional instructor at the University of Alberta.
When she is not immersed in her work, you can find Chelsea relaxing in the Rocky Mountains or exploring new cities abroad with her family.
Our best future can only be found by hearing all voices, discovering all histories, and exploring all solutions.Chelsea Whitty
- Master of Planning University of Calgary
- Bachelor of Education University of Alberta