- What’s your favourite DIALOG project?
- Although a small project, the Bill Fisch Forest Stewardship and Education Centre remains one of the most innovative projects I’ve ever worked on. As a Living Building Challenge project with all seven performance petals, it was literally the prototype of prototypes. This project shows our commitment to helping build a carbon-neutral future.
- Where do you find inspiration?
- With an erasable marker on the office windows – nothing like the sun’s energy shining on your face as you solve a challenging problem with a colleague.
- How do you spoil yourself?
- Some people have a wine cellar... I like to treat myself to the world's best olive oils. Tinkering in the garage also cleanses my mind. I just have to be careful to not mix up the two different types of oil!
- What’s one thing about you that would surprise people?
- I turn the lights out and play my piano in the dark. There's nothing more soothing.
Interdisciplinary at his roots, Daria began his university education in electrical engineering, but soon realized his true calling was structural engineering. He brought a specific enthusiasm for structural design and building rehabilitation when he joined the DIALOG team. In 2009, Daria was appointed principal and today provides foundational leadership to our structural engineering team in Toronto.
Daria has 30 years of experience in design and project management, as well as specific expertise in structural analysis and post-disaster building design. His cross-disciplinary competency reassures client, staff and end users alike, and ensures the success and enjoyment of his projects.
Daria has been retained as an independent expert witness for the complaints and investigation department of Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) for nearly a decade. He has been involved in the review of numerous projects for the association and various insurance companies, and also testified before the PEO’s Discipline Committee.
Daria's work experience ranges from healthcare, recreational, and institutional to heritage restoration, rehabilitation, and forensic / failure investigations. He is an expert in steel and concrete structures design, but has a long-standing affinity for timber design and construction. He looks forward to the challenge of creating innovative designs with this natural material, which is now experiencing a resurgence in the design industry.
Meticulous data-gathering and analysis techniques on Daria's part have laid the foundation for many of our large and sustainable projects. A hands-on management style means that Daria can be found on-site at any given time, kicking around the dirt with our clients.
In his capacity as a principal, Daria believes that mentorship is golden. He enjoys taking time to sit down with graduate and post-graduate student interns to guide and support their work and future careers.
I am a designer at heart, so when I have the opportunity to do so, I still get a thrill from dropping into the creative zone and dreaming.Daria Khachi
- Master of Engineering, Structural University of British Columbia
- Bachelor of Civil Engineering McMaster University