- If you could work a ‘day in the life’ of another discipline at DIALOG, whose would it be?
- Structural - 100%. The structural design of some of our most complex buildings at DIALOG are a work of magic. The interplay between space creation and its associated structural requirements are the basis of design of course, but sometimes the implications of a minor spatial revision can lead to a plethora of re-calculation and structural re-strategizing, a calculative party we are rarely invited to. A peak behind the curtain of this process would be fascinating.
- What’s one thing about you that would surprise people?
- One of my main passion’s is music, both listening and playing. I was a singer, musician and DJ for a synth-wave pop band called the Diogenes Club in the UK. At the time we made several releases in the 2010s and featured on BBC radio as well as radio stations globally. These days however I reminisce about the old times, and just pontificate about the state of the music business.
- If you could live a ‘day in the life’ of someone else, who would it be?
- Sean Connery in Goldfinger. Who wouldn’t want to start the day relaxing on Miami Beach in a toweling playsuit, followed by cruising through the swiss alps in an Aston Martin DB5.
Paul Giles joined DIALOG in 2012 after relocating to Vancouver from Wales, UK. He brought with him a wealth of experience in building conservation and heritage, working on many prestigious projects for the English and Welsh Government. Over the years he has developed a passion for design through the lens of preserving and interpreting the heritage and history of place.
Paul sits on the City of Vancouver Heritage Commission and advises council on matters relating to conservation and heritage in the city. Although adept at working on sensitive heritage projects, Paul also has extensive experience in mixed-use and residential architecture and continues to be a leader on many projects of this typology.
He is a project manager that oversees projects from conception, construction and eventual completion, guiding project teams towards quality, schedule and budget goals to exceed client’s expectations. Paul’s dedicated approach to work, as well his sense of humour, make working with him an enjoyable experience, recognizing good communication and strong relationships as the foundation of great design.
- Bachelor of Arts, Architecture, Honours University of Plymouth