Established in partnership with the University of Toronto, this scholarship is intended to encourage students to pursue advanced study in structural engineering. It is awarded annually to a student enrolled in their first year of a graduate program within the Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering. The scholarship is for $5,000, payable at the end of the fall semester.
About Donald Tong
The DIALOG Graduate Scholarship in Structural Engineering at the University of Toronto is named for long-time structural team member Donald Tong, who tragically passed away in 2018 after a courageous battle with cancer.
Donald epitomized the integrated design culture at the heart of DIALOG. He started his career as an interior designer, followed by a stint as an architectural technologist, before he found his passion in structural engineering.
It is our hope that future structural engineers will embody Donald’s creative, wide-ranging design spirit.
- Who’s eligible
Full-time students enrolled for the current academic year who are in their first year of a MEng, MASc, or PhD program within the Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering at the University of Toronto.
- How to apply
Complete the Apply Now form below and attach the following:
- A letter (maximum 500 words) describing your qualifications, academic plans, and career plans. Please include the ways in which your interests and plans fit with DIALOG’s multi-disciplinary approach to design.
- Your undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) academic transcripts.
- Your curriculum vitae.
- Application deadline
Applications will be accepted annually between September 1 and November 30. Letters of notification will be sent to all applicants in December.
- How the recipient is selected
Senior members of the DIALOG structural engineering team will review applications and rate them using the following criteria:
- interest in the structural engineering field, especially as it relates to DIALOG’s practice in buildings
- overall academic record
- communication skills
- community involvement
- Ready to start your journey?